REAL 2017: Assemble Your Toolbox
REAL week is week long, internal, teaching and learning convention. Since 2015, faculty have facilitated 130+ sessions available to their colleagues. Topics during REAL week have ranged from categories like “Teaching Diversity,” “Engaging Students,” and “Apps, Apps, Apps: Using the iPad in Class.”
This year, we are focusing on four strands: Delivery, Inspiration, Design, and Unity. We are also taking a trip to the History Museum as a faculty group to experience the #1 in Civil Rights exhibit. Colleagues will discuss how knowledge of regional history and a better understanding of the struggles of particular cultural groups in America can impact our students and the way we teach.
We have an app! Please use it to
- REGISTER FOR SESSIONS
- BUILD YOUR OWN SCHEDULE,
- AND ACCESS OTHER FEATURES
Objectives for the week:
- Collecting a series of tools and develop strategies for use, encouraging your students in the teaching and learning process. Keep record of tools and application strategies during Friday activities and during the year.
- Continuing to focus on student-centered teaching strategies by providing clear expectations, low stakes assessments, creative and effective assignments, meaningful discussions, and thoughtful assignments safe-guarding against plagiarism.
- Developing strategies for communicating with and building relationships with your students, including an introduction to the new platform for student service and engagement, Salesforce.
- Reflecting on teaching; including effective use of technology, student-centered strategies, and the connection between student learning and course objectives.
- Visiting the History Museum to engage meaningful conversations about who we are as a St. Louis institution and what that means for our students.